Monday, September 8, 2014

My Ideal Bookshelf for Literacy

Last year I purchased My Ideal Bookshelf with art by Jane Mount for a friend and fellow Language Arts teacher as a gift.  I ended up enjoying the book so much that I returned to the store later that week to pick up my own copy.  During the past year, I've learned that this book has created quite a movement among book-lovers and even has its own hashtag in the Twitter world, #myidealbookshelf.   Fans of the text, also have the option of sending their Ideal Bookshelf to info@idealbookshelf.com and have a commissioned painting made to hang in their home or office.  

Motivated by my love of books and my course about Adolescent Reading, I decided to think of a way to use this as an icebreaker for my course.  On the first night of class, I shared an Ideal Bookshelf I created for literacy and asked my graduate students to use the handout to create their own Ideal Bookshelf.  The activity was such a powerful opener; it generated such rich discussion on the first night and really encouraged the students to open up and share their ideas.  A copy of the blank form and the video I used with my graduate students can be accessed below:

My Ideal Bookshelf handout
My Ideal Bookshelf with Adobe Voice

Below is a link to My Ideal Bookshelf for Literacy.  It was created using VoiceThread, a great interactive tech tool.  Feel free to leave a comment. 

My Ideal Bookshelf for Literacy using VoiceThread

What books would you put on your Ideal Bookshelf?  

No comments:

Post a Comment